HEC-C Study Resources
HEC-C Review Course
Thursday, October 24, 2019, 8 - 11:30 AM
Offered in conjunction with the ASBH Annual Conference in Pittsburgh, PA
Trevor M. Bibler, PhD MTS HEC-C, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX; Barbara L. Chanko, MBA RN, National Center for Ethics in Health Care, New York, NY; Deborah K. Cruze, JD MA, Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, Riverside, CA; Jane Jankowski, PhD MSW, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH; Mark G. Swope, PhD MBE MA, Carilion Clinic, Roanoke, VA
Developed and presented by ASBH Clinical Ethics Consultation Affairs (CECA) Committee members, this first of its kind review course will provide a solid foundation for those planning to or interested in taking the HEC-C examination. Using the HEC-C examination content outline, knowledge statements, and core references as a review framework, attendees will have an opportunity to review key concepts and references to support further study. The 4-hour session will include didactic and interactive small group discussions focusing on:
- Healthcare Ethics Issues from Big Picture Concepts to Clinical Encounters
- Healthcare Systems & Health Law
- Clinical Context
- Local Healthcare Organizations and Policies
- Attendees will also have the opportunity to discuss sample questions simulating the format of questions on the HEC-C Examination.
- Review content areas, knowledge statements, and core references used to create the HEC-C Examination.
- Examine core references and the relation to HEC-C knowledge statements to identify content that may be included in the HEC-C Examination.
- Answer sample questions simulating the format of questions on the HEC-C Examination.
HEC-C Practice Exam
Developed by the ASBH Clinical Ethics Consultation Affairs (CECA) Committee, the practice exam is designed to help candidates prepare for the Healthcare Ethics Consultant Certified (HEC-C) Examination. CECA Committee members used the publicly available certification examination outline and core references to develop practice questions similar in format to those that will appear on the examination.
The HEC-C Practice Exam features
- 50 multiple choice questions, in both stand-alone and scenario-based format
- a diagnostic report containing each question with the correct answer, the rationale, and reference provided upon the completion of the practice exam
- additional recommended reading for each question
- a demonstrated mapping to the HEC-C Examination Content Outline to help candidates determine content for further study.
Success on the practice test does not guarantee positive results on the certification examination. The online practice test is hosted by Scantron. Scantron is contracted to provide the HEC-C Practice examination and worked separately with the ASBH CECA Committee to develop a practice exam.
After completing the payment process, you will receive a unique user name and password which will be valid for one year. There is no time limit on the practice test and it is not necessary to complete the practice test in one session; you may exit and return to the practice test as often as you like. However, once the practice test has been submitted for scoring, the user name and password will expire and you may not reenter the practice test.
After creating your user account and purchasing the test, you may access the test directly here.
Clinical Ethics Consultation Bundle
Buy three essential Healthcare Ethics Consulting ASBH publications that are included as core resources for the HEC-C Examination. The Clinical Ethics Consultation Bundle includes the following ASBH publications and provides an essential foundation identifying core competencies, improving those competencies, and the application of competencies through the presentation of complex clinical cases.
• Core Competencies in Healthcare Ethics Consultation, 2nd Edition
• Improving Competencies in Clinical Ethics Consultation, 2nd Edition
• A Case-Based Study Guide for Addressing Patient-Centered Ethical Issues in Health Care
Buy the bundle Or visit ASBH Books to purchase individually.
HEC-C Examination Prep and Practice Webinar
Listen to the above 60-minute webinar, hosted by members of the ASBH Clinical Ethics Consultation Affairs (CECA) Committee, to
• Review study resources publicly available through the HCEC Certification Commission
• Demonstrate how HCEC Certification Commission resources support examination preparation
• Review study resources available through ASBH
• Review sample examination questions with discussion and rationale