Information Provided Voluntarily
- Member and Site Visitor Information: We will collect personal information that you provide to us, including, but not limited to, your name; employer’s name; job title; mailing addresses; e-mail addresses; telephone numbers; fax numbers; date of birth; and personal and professional demographics. Such information is necessary to facilitate your access to, use of, purchase of, or participation in our service and product offerings, including, but not limited to, membership; events, meetings, or conferences; educational programs; and online forums. Please note that you may decline to share your personal information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide you with certain aspects of our services or products.
- Payment Information: If you choose to purchase a product or service, we and/or our third-party payment processors will collect your payment information, including, but not limited to, your credit or debit card number, card verification value (CVV) number, and expiration date.
Information Collected Automatically
- Automated Information: Your web browser or mobile device automatically provides information when you visit the Site, including, but not limited to, your Internet Protocol (IP) address or unique device identifier.
- Log Files: Log files store information such as a user’s IP address, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. Like most Websites, the Site uses log files to analyze trends, administer the Site, and track users’ movement on the Site.
The Site and our services and products are not directed toward children under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect information from children. If we become aware that a child has provided us with information without parental consent, that information will be deleted from our records.
ASBH uses the information that we collect to provide our services and products and to operate our business. We may use and store such information for legitimate and lawful business purposes, for example, in order to:
- provide a service or product you requested;
- secure your membership status;
- fulfill your membership benefits;
- analyze and evaluate member and prospective member needs and interests, and improve the member and prospective member experience;
- notify you of ASBH official business, news, activities, programs, events, meetings, conferences, services, products, and benefits;
- send occasional email communications on behalf of vendors;
- track event, meeting, and conference attendance;
- track education related activities;
- prepare invoices and process payments;
- respond to communications and inquiries that you send to us;
- promote the function, safety, and security of our services; and
- for other legitimate and lawful business purposes.
For individuals located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or the United Kingdom (“UK”), we rely on multiple legal bases to collect, use, share, or otherwise process your personal data, including that:
- you have given consent, which you may withdraw at any time;
- it is necessary for us to perform a contract with you;
- it is necessary for us to comply with legal obligations;
- it is necessary for our or a third party’s legitimate interests;
- it is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions; and/or
- it is necessary to protect someone’s life.
To the extent we rely on our legitimate interests as a legal basis to collect, use, share, or otherwise process your personal data, those interests include, for example: providing a product or service you requested; securing your membership status; fulfilling your membership benefits; analyzing and evaluating member and prospective member needs and interests, and improving the member and prospective member experience; notifying you of ASBH official business, news, activities, programs, events, meetings, conferences, services, products, and benefits; sending occasional email communications on behalf of vendors; tracking event, meeting, and conference attendance; tracking education related activities; preparing invoices and processing payments; responding to communications and inquiries that you send to us; and promoting the function, safety, and security of our services.
Personal information may be given to a third party in order to complete a specific business transaction on behalf of ASBH. Such transactions may include the following:
- Your name and contact information, as provided to ASBH, may be shared with ASBH members to provide a service, satisfy a question, or develop a prospective business relationship. We are not responsible for members’ use or misuse of your personal information.
- Your name and contact information, as provided to ASBH, may appear on registration or attendee lists distributed at ASBH programs, events, meetings, and conferences to other attendees, including members, and third parties, including, but not limited to, exhibitors or sponsors. We are not responsible for use or misuse of your personal information by attendees, members, exhibitors, sponsors, or the like.
- We may share your personal information with third parties that provide services to ASBH including, but not limited to, administration/operation support; marketing, promotions, and communications; program, event, meeting, or conference enrollment, registration, planning, hosting, or management; Website hosting; database management; payment card processing; or other data processing.
- We also may disclose personal information if we become subject to a subpoena, court order, or law enforcement or other government agency inquiry or investigation or if we are otherwise legally required to disclose such information. We also may use and disclose information about you to establish or exercise our legal rights, to enforce the Terms and Conditions of Use Agreement, to assert and defend against legal claims, or if we believe such disclosure is necessary or prudent to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding actual or suspected illegal or fraudulent activities or potential threats to the physical safety or well-being of any person.
- If all or part of ASBH is merged into or otherwise transferred to another entity, we may transfer the personal information you provided to us to such entity as part of that transaction.
ASBH takes your privacy and the protection of your personal information seriously, and we will provide you with reasonable access to and control of the personal information that you have provided to us. You may request to update your personal information or to opt in to or opt out of any service offerings at any time. Please note that limitations on our ability to collect and maintain your personal data as a result of opting out of collection may result in us not being able to provide you with certain aspects of our services or products.
For individuals located in the EEA or the UK, you may have additional rights concerning your personal data, such as to access, obtain a copy of, correct, restrict, transfer, or delete that information or to withdraw your consent to the collection, use, sharing, or other processing of that information. Such individuals also have the right to object to the processing of their personal information. To make any request with respect to your personal information, please contact ASBH as set forth below in the “ASBH Contact Information” section.
We employ reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural security measures to safeguard your personal information and to help protect against unauthorized access and disclosure. Online registration information, such as payment card information, will be secured using a commercially accepted method of encryption. However, please be aware that no method of electronic transmission is completely infallible, and we cannot guarantee its absolute safety. We encourage you to use reasonable care in how you handle and disclose your personal information, username(s), and password(s). If you become aware of any breach of Site security, please contact us immediately.
If you are visiting the Site from outside the United States, please be aware that you are sending information, including personal data, to the United States where our servers are located. That information may then be transferred within the United States or to other countries outside the United States other than your country of residence. Countries other than your country of residence, including the United States, may have data privacy and protection laws that differ from, and potentially provide less protection than, the applicable laws in your country of residence.
There are external links to other websites throughout the Site, which are provided solely for your convenience. Please note that ASBH is not responsible for the privacy policies of those other websites and hereby disclaims any liability or responsibility in connection with such linked websites.
American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
O’Hare Plaza Office Complex
8735 W. Higgins Road, Suite 300
Chicago, IL 60631
In response to a request, we might ask you to verify your identity and provide information that helps us to understand your request better. If you disagree with our data privacy practices, you also may contact your national Data Protection Authority.
Effective: May 9, 2023
Welcome to the Websites of the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities (ASBH). These sites are provided as a service of ASBH.
- Description of Service. ASBH.org consists of several sections, some of which may have restricted access.
- Limitation of Liability. In no event shall ASBH or its officers, directors, members, staff, or agents, be liable for any damages of any kind, including, without limitation, any special, incidental, indirect, or consequential damages, whether or not advised of the possibility of such damages, and on any theory of liability whatsoever, arising out of, or in connection with, the use or performance of the Site or any content appearing on the Site.
- Disclaimer. ASBH makes no warranty, guaranty, or representation regarding the accuracy, content, completeness, reliability, operability, or legality of information contained within the Site, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular use, and non-infringement of propriety rights. The information, opinions, and recommendations presented within the site are for general information only. Such information should not be considered medical advice and is not intended to replace consultation with a qualified physician. Unless specifically stated otherwise, ASBH does not endorse, approve, recommend, or certify any information, product, process, service, or organization presented or mentioned on the Site, and information from the Site should not be referenced in any way to imply such approval or endorsement. Moreover, ASBH makes no warranty that the Site, or the server that makes it available, is free from viruses, worms, or other elements or codes that manifest contaminating or destructive properties. ASBH expressly disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or other damages arising out of any individual’s use of, reference to, reliance on, or inability to use, the Site or the information presented on the Site. In any jurisdiction that does not permit such a disclaimer of liability, ASBH’s liability shall be limited to the greatest extent allowed by applicable law.
- Links. Links or pointers connecting the Site with other Internet sites are provided as a courtesy only and do not imply, directly or indirectly, the endorsement, sponsorship, or approval by ASBH of the linked site, the organization or individual operating the site, or any product, service, individual, or organization referenced in the site. In general, any Website that has an address (or URL) that does not contain “asbh.org” is a linked Website. The content of any linked site does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of ASBH. Linked sites are not under the control of ASBH, and ASBH is not responsible for the content of any linked site, any links contained within a linked site, any changes or updates to such sites, or the compliance with applicable laws of such linked sites.
- DMCA Notice and Takedown Procedures. ASBH abides by the federal Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) by responding to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the DMCA and other applicable laws. As part of its response, ASBH may remove or disable access to material on the Site that is claimed to be infringing, in which case, ASBH will make a good-faith attempt to contact the person who submitted the affected material so that person may make a counter notification, also in accordance with the DMCA. By posting material to the Site, the posting party represents and warrants that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants ASBH and users of the Site the nonexclusive, unrestricted, royalty-free right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material. Anyone who believes that material posted on the Site infringes on his or her copyrighted work should refer to the Procedures for Requesting Removal of Infringing Material.
- Choice of Law and Forum. This Agreement is entered into and performed in the State of Illinois, United States of America, and is governed by the laws of Illinois, exclusive of its choice of law or conflict of laws provisions. In any claim or action directly or indirectly arising under this Agreement or related to asbh.org, each party irrevocably submits to the exclusive personal jurisdiction of the state courts located in Cook County, Illinois, or the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, whichever has jurisdiction, and each party waives any jurisdictional venue or inconvenient forum objections to such court.