The American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
The Society is an educational organization whose purpose is to promote the exchange of ideas and foster multi-disciplinary, inter-disciplinary, and inter-professional scholarship, research, teaching, policy development, professional development, and collegiality among people engaged in all of the endeavors related to clinical and academic bioethics and the health-related humanities.
These purposes may be advanced by the following kinds of activities:
- Encouraging consideration of issues in human values as they relate to health services, the education of health care professionals, and research.
- Conducting education meetings dealing with such issues.
- Stimulating research in areas of such concern.
- Soliciting and receiving grants, gifts, and bequests and otherwise acquiring and accumulating, holding, and investing assets to be used for such purposes in accordance with these Bylaws.
- Fostering the interests of persons interested in these endeavors. The Society specifically seeks to foster dialogue, collegial endeavors, and membership with persons from diverse cultural, ethnic, and racial backgrounds.
- Contributing to the public discussion of these endeavors and interests including how they relate to public policy.
- Conducting other activities consonant with the Society's purpose and these Bylaws.
ASBH supports an environment of productive engagement, where the free expression of diverse points of view occurs in an atmosphere of scholarly exchange and mutual respect. Conference attendees, participants, and vendors are expected to observe common sense norms for public behavior, personal interaction, and common courtesy. Abusive, harassing, or threatening behavior is not acceptable.